Friday, March 28, 2014

Drawing to a Close

Wow...I cannot believe that this amazing experience is wrapping up with our journey back to NC tomorrow.  I have been so incredibly blessed to travel back to one of my favorite countries with some outstanding students and awesome chaperons.  I am struggling to find the words to convey how thankful I am for this experience.

We began our day today by visiting the clinic in Pastores that From Houses to Homes runs at no cost for the families that it builds for, which is quite a concept in this country to receive free healthcare.  Then we traveled back to our respective work sites to paint the inside and outside of our houses (yellow, orange, blue, and red between the two of them) while our FHTH workers put on the roof and installed the window and door.  Both families generously provided a delicious lunch for their respective work crews before the closing ceremony where Oscar (the point man in the FHTH office) came to formally gift the house over to the families in a moving speech where we were given the opportunity to give the keys to the family.  It was a difficult and tearful afternoon as we said goodbye to the families and workers; it is amazing to see how attached one can grow over just five days.

We spent this evening doing some shopping for dinner at Frida's, a Mexican restaurant inspired by Frida Khalo.  As I am typing this, everyone is packing in preparation for our departure in the morning.

FHTH staff and workers (particularly Juan, Julio, Hector, Fernando, Carmen, Luis, Oscar, Suzy, and Mercy) - thank you for hosting us and for all of the incredible work that you are doing.  You all inspire me everytime that I think about you, and I cannot wait to return to you!

Parents - thank you for loaning me your children for this seemingly magical journey.  I have gotten to know them all so much better and am impressed by their maturity, senses of humor, and adaptability.  I wish that we did not have to leave tomorrow, but I am sure that you are anxious to have them safely home again.

Friends of WCS - thank you for your support of this trip!  Whether it was buying a tote bag back in November or encouraging words before leaving, we could not have done it without you.  This trip has been a shining example of cooperation that I hope that you see upon our return.

Christopher, Troy, and Cindy - you three are too amazing for words!  I have been blown away by your flexibility and positivity as we have made this journey together.  I hope that you know that I  am so thankful for you and hope that we have more adventures together in the future!

Brian, Joseph, Chris, Rachel, Richard, Jordan, Megan, Clara, Cy, and Matt - you ten are such awesome human beings!  Having already commented on your maturity, I want you to know that I have treasured our time together and hate to see it come to a close.  I could not imagine a more perfect group of people to share this with.  If you are the future of the world, then I know that we are all in good hands.  You all have so much potential, and I am so beyond excited to see what you all do with your lives!  Rest assured that I will be watching out for you.  : )

Love to everyone,
Amanda




1 comment: